Justin has a deep passion for sharing his love of music with others, and for many years he has taught students of all ages with great success. He feels it is important to inspire and encourage music in other people’s lives, and to share the great enjoyment and skills in learning to others willing. Openings are still available where Justin teaches in Auckland, New Zealand; both at Justin Bird – Piano Studio in Mangere Bridge, and Remuera Music Academy in Remuera.
- Lessons are customizable for each student, and I allow you to learn the style of music you want to play.
- Theory tuition is included to enhance music reading and understanding
- Guidance through the three exam systems of New Zealand is offered along with the ear training required, and participation in local competitions encouraged.
- End of term recitals are held for performance opportunities, as well as more regular and informal performance classes.
- Online lessons available through tonerow.com or skype anywhere in the world!
Justin Bird – Piano Studio Policies
- Fees are $45 for 30 minutes, and $90 for one hour. Lessons are paid by the term, and are due the second lesson of every term.
- Materials you should bring are; your music, a notebook or journal for taking notes, alternatively a device to record with. Loose sheet music should be hole punched and in a three ring binder. Notebooks are available for purchase at the studio.
- Punctuality is vital for everyone. I reserve the right to forfeit a lesson if a student 15 minutes late.
- Parents are strongly encouraged to attend all lessons for younger students, as replicating what happens in the lesson at home is key to ensuring the student’s success.
- Preparation is different for every student, as everyone practices at different levels of efficiency. As a rough guide, practice time should equate to at least your weekly lesson length per day. For example a student taking a 30 minute lesson per week should practice at least 30 minutes per day.
- Electronic Devices must be silenced before entering the piano studio, and for other reasons of disruption, I might ask family members to leave the studio.
- Rescheduling or Cancelling is appreciated as early as possible, and can be done up to 24 hours before the lesson. At that point the lesson can still incur its original fee at the teacher’s discretion, whether the lesson takes place or not. The ability to agree on a time to reschedule is not guaranteed, and earlier notice is better for securing a time.
- Communication is best done through email – firstname.lastname@example.org. In cases of emergencies like a cancellation or running late, you can call or text 027 587 2352 between 9am and 9pm.
- The Studio is an extension of my private residence and must be regarded (and respected) as such. Please remove your shoes before entering.
- School Holidays are a break from piano lessons. Take advantage of the time to both practice more at times, and less, and spend time with your family. Exceptions can be made for students preparing for upcoming exams or other performances.
- National Holidays when the studio is closed include Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Waitangi Day, Good Friday, Easter Day, ANZAC Day, Queen’s Birthday, and Labour Day.
Term Lesson Dates – 2019
- starts Monday 28 January
- ends Friday 12 April
- starts Monday 29 April
- ends Friday 5 July
- starts Monday 22 July
- ends Friday 27 September
- starts Monday 14 October
- ends Friday 20 December
“We have been very blessed to have Justin teach several of our children piano lessons for a couple of years. He is wonderful! He is a fantastic pianist and can teach all levels. He has high expectations, and can push the kids without discouraging them or scaring them off. I cannot recommend him too highly.” – Connie O’Brien
“Justin was such an awesome piano teacher. We learned a lot from him and had a lot of fun.” – Christopher, Matthew, and Benjamin Lowes
“Was very helpful and supportive. Most importantly, he knew how to help me improve from where I was and what I needed to focus on. He had exercises I could do to prepare for my next lesson.” – Christian Clark
“My son, daughter, and I take lessons from Justin and Annabel and would highly recommend them for lessons for both children and adults. They are clear with instruction, patient and give valuable feedback to keep your skills improving.” – Eric Scheper
“Justin is a wonderful teacher and person. He meets you at your level and helps you become a better musician, starting where you need to be. He is very flexible with his times, and works with the music you want to learn.” – Addy Kao
“While our regular teacher was out for an extended leave we used Justin to teach our three children. He was an amazing teacher, very down to earth and an incredibly talented pianist. We thoroughly enjoyed the year we had lessons with him and we would highly recommend him.” – Wendy Portukalian
“I had classes with Justin and enjoyed it a lot. He was very flexible that I could choose my own pieces to play. He offered great guidance and advice to improve my playing. I would highly recommend him!” – Jie Ma
“Thank you for helping me experience piano and the music I can make. I enjoyed your humor and it’s been fun learning from you.” – Daniel Wells
“Fantastic piano lessons! Justin’s love for music provides a warm and open environment to learn” – Dayna Chandler
Justin’s current group of students in Auckland, NZ